So over the past while I have been up to quite a lot! From working with many new exciting clients, to engaging with different SharePoint Community initiatives.
The SharePoint Business Community
Shortly there should be an announcement outlining the SharePoint Business Community. This is a very big investment of energy and time from me, but after considering book authoring, event organizing, speaking and other things I was working on I think this has the best benefit for the most people. As such this is my number one personal priority for the upcoming year.
- This new site will be announced very soon and will be replacing/merging/migrating SPDevWiki, EndUserSharePoint.com, SharePointJoel.com and many other blogs/sites!
- The site will be made of four areas of interest: SharePoint End Users, SharePoint Developers, SharePoint Administrators/IT Pros, and the SharePoint Business Community.
- The SharePoint Business Community will be completely vendor and partner neutral.
There are a few challenges that exist in the SharePoint world and I hope the SharePoint Business Community will help solve them all:
- There is no single listing of all the people speaking, or contributing passionately about the non-technical business topics for SharePoint.
- The biggest reason that SharePoint projects, implementations and solutions have failed is a result of non-technical business related challenges.
- There is no single place for people to find SharePoint non-technical business resources, references and support for SharePoint.
There are a number of people identified that have similar interests and passions around project management, user adoption, governance, business analysis, ROI, training, support, buy in, information architecture and other business/non-technical factors of SharePoint. When I started trying to compile a list of these people I realized it would be impossible for me to discover and identify everyone. So one of the first things I will be focusing on after site release is getting a comprehensive listing of people passionate about these kinds of topics.
In the mean time feel free to let me know if you are interested, would like to author articles, or would like to help build useful resources/collateral.
There are a number of other really cool things that will be in this community that Business Community members and I have started planning such as a Governance site template (WSP) filled with tons of samples, and starting documents, policies, standards, and lists for managing SharePoint Governance.
So I hope you are as excited as I am and if you have more ideas let me know!
Speaking Updates (Brief)
The SharePoint events, conferences, and webinars are getting better and better. You can really see the industry maturing and the impact this has on clearer messaging, clearer communication, and better organization. I expect more specialized SharePoint conferences going forward like ones that focus on specific industries (Health, Manufacturing, Education etc) or ones that focus on targeted audiences (SharePoint Developer Conference, SharePoint Administrator Conference, Sharepoint End User Conference etc)
Some upcoming events I will be speaking at before the end of the year are:
- SharePoint Saturday Webinar Online (From SPSBoston) (Friday Nov 5)
- Boston Area SharePoint User Group (Wednesday Nov 10)
- SharePoint Saturday Toronto (Saturday Nov 13)
- SharePoint Symposium in DC (Wed and Thu Nov 17-18)
- SharePoint Saturday South Florida (Saturday Dec 4)
- SharePoint Live (Wednesday Dec 8 )
- SharePoint Saturday Kansas City (Saturday Dec 11)
A few of the events that I was recently at/spoke at that were wonderfully organized and extremely engaging were:
- Tampa SharePoint User Group
- SharePoint Saturday DC Federal
- Oklahoma City SharePoint User Group
- Executive Insights DC
- SharePoint Saturday Boston
- SharePoint Saturday Los Angeles
- SharePoint Saturday East Bay
- SharePoint Saturday Baltimore
- Best Practices 2010
- SharePoint Saturday NYC
It’s just an awesome time right now in the SharePoint world.
Hope you are all doing well,
P.S – The SharePoint Business Community is engaging all known SharePoint Business related sites, publishers, analysts, and thought leaders but to be quite honest I just can’t find all of them. So beyond sharing with people you know who are passionate please feel free to post links to sites, articles, or items of interest like SharePointGovernance.org, or specific SharePoint whitepapers like Sue and Scott’s 2010 Governance one to my blog or email me them when you have a chance so I make sure I collect/collate/or link to these from the new site.